My competition entry for 2020 was an intended present I had created for my Mum. It initially set off as a large toiletry bag combining designs from the Vintage Grace Collection in my software.
I then combined designs from different collections (listed below) around the initial ‘J’. The overall shape and size of the bag was determined by the design combinations eventually used.
After experimenting with different fabrics I decided on heavy weight velvet for the outer to give structure while remaining soft.
I quilted pale pink silk dupion for the inside.
Decovil was also used to add firmness to the base of the bag. I used stitch and tear stabilizer in my hoop and floated lightweight wash away stabilizer on top which easily came away after embroidering. The approximate size was 30cm (12”) long x 20cm (8”) high x 5cm (2”) deep.
The main front of the bag was embroidered with designs from the Vintage Grace collection
The velvet bag back was embroidered with Vintage Grace designs and the Graceful Font.
The scrolls surrounding the initial were taken from Renaissance Fuchias, Jacobean Sampler and Stars over Bethlehem collections.
Designs from the Cassandra White Work, Arabella Bullion and Royal Heirloom collections were used for the interior of the bag.
The smaller Make-up/brush bag was constructed and sized to fit inside the larger bag and woven interfaced cream silk satin was used on the inside, again stitch and tear stabilizer was hooped and light wash away floated on top.
I was particularly pleased the silk satin embroidered without pulling or puckering and the wash away stabilizer removed without any problem. Seed pearls were sewn onto the quilted fabric prior to assembly.
Decovil was used inside the bag to give a firm structure and seems were finished by making narrow bias binding.
The fastening embroidery detail is from using two freebies on top of each other and small flowers from Tutorial 5: The Graceful Sampler.
These were made using two layers of tulle on washaway stabilizer. A small pearl button fastening is hidden under the embroidery detail.
After sampling several design options for the interior of the large bag and the smaller items I decided that the project was more suited to finer delicate collections.
The pillbox flower is the only larger design used on the inner items (Graceful Silk Sampler Tutorial).
- I have learnt to spend time using different fabrics and interfacings to achieve the best possible desired results.
- A definite positive was stitching fine silk satin without any pulls in the fabric and I understand why Hazel enjoys working with silk so much in future I’m sure it will become a firm favourite of mine too.
For the make-up/brush roll bag, the Freebie from Bridal Lace was used for the outside and the small flowers came from Tutorial 5: The Graceful Silk Sampler. On the inside the designs were from Le Bebe Royal and the heart came from the Kathryn Rachel Bridal Collection.
Here is a full list of the designs used for this project:Arabella Bullion, Bridal Lace (Freebie) Cassandra White work, Graceful Font, Graceful Silk Sampler, Jacobean Sampler, Kathryn Rachel Bridal, Le Bebe Royal, Renaissance Fuchsias, Royal Heirloom, Stars over Bethlehem, and Vintage Grace.
This is an amazing project and so much work has gone into its creation. Well done. We are all inspired!
Happy embroidering from Hazel