This was a machine embroidery project I set myself to help me try to overcome the loss of my daughter some twelve months ago. Knitting & sewing have been my hobbies for many years. For the last twelve months it has obviously been a struggle to concentrate on anything, but the time has come to try & work through the sad loss.
Planning the project
Having watched several of the machine embroidery Tutorials on Hazel’s website, I decided to set myself a challenge.
So, I set about collecting the various materials needed to produce a Jacobean Tree of life sampler.
For my background material I purchased the Raw Silk Material, that Hazel recommends. From my large collection of Embroidery threads I selected my colours & purchased the Jacobean Sampler designs with the detailed PDF instructions from Graceful Embroidery.
Embroidering the designs
I decided to start with the tree as my centre image. I set about the work using my Brother Innov-is V3 Embroidery Machine.
Following the PDF instructions, the tree required the use of 3 hoops & after some careful thought I succeeded in getting all the joining’s together.
Having been successful with this first stage of the Jacobean embroidery, I now had the drive to carry on.
My next challenge was to place the corner images correctly. That is not easy as I am Partially Sighted, so I enlisted the help of my husband. We marked the corners ready for embroidering the designs & with some trepidation set the machine up & set too. All went well!
From then we moved on to the centre left & right edges followed by the centre top & bottom images.
Then came the time to set out all the remaining separate images required to fill in the rest of the sampler. I used the sample pictures in the PDF to place the individual pictures in the order I wished them to be.
Once I was happy with my selection, I again took the help of my husband to position them correctly before embroidering them in place.
Finishing the project
Having now completed the Jacobean machine embroidery I had to decide how it would be best displayed. My initial thoughts were to stretch it myself & have it as a wall hanging. However I was not keen on doing it myself, so I opted for a professional to do it for me.
I took my finished work to our local picture framing gallery. With their guidance I decided to have a framed & glazed mount.
Now that I have the completed work at home I am happy with what I have achieved. I am pleased with the professional framing & I am thinking about my next challenge. The most difficult part was thinking everything out, and then the positioning the machine embroidery designs accurately on the fabric. If I were to do it again, I would spend more time thinking about it before going ahead. The best thing I learnt was that I have now the courage to do it and go on to do many more Projects.
Hazel comments: “WOW! What an amazing project you produced. I am sure that it gets many compliments as it hangs in pride of place in your home. When I began to created these designs I could never have imagined what would be embroidered with them.”
Happy embroidering from Hazel