As I work on any set of machine embroidery designs I like to experiment with different ways of embroidering them out, finding new levels of creativity and pushing the boundaries. There is so much satisfaction in creating something unique!
There are 10 designs in Renaissance Fuchsias 5, created for the 12″ by 8″ hoop. I studied them all and decided that design #7 would get the special reinstatement. When creating designs with one hoop in mind I tend to aim at filling the hoop as much as possible but this design was the exception as it is circular. Most of my collections feature small elements, along with medium and large combinations of those elements but with the creation of projects using the designs I know that I must include some corners, borders and panels. These take the form of some type of contrasting embroidery to frame the embroidery. Works of art are framed to protect them but also to add to its presentation.
I took one section of the lace border that were introduced in the second set in the collection and experimented with the “encore” or wreath feature in my software. Obviously I wanted to include at least one fuchsia and one hummingbird in this, so it was a squeeze as it always is when creating this type of design. Every time I do this I recall the first time I was able to experiment with this feature. It is SO SO exciting!
After a “lot” of manipulation I was able to create this design.
I did have a mat of some kind in mind as I had when I created a similar design for the fourth set.
Although I use organza and tulle for sheer embroidery I opted for English cotton net. You will have to shop around to find it and online it can be pricey. I get mine from Harrington Fabric and Laces, an Aladdin’s cave situated in a old mill near Nottingham in the UK but that is usually trade only.
As you can see I placed a layer of Floriani wash away stabiliser and the cotton net in my 8″ x 8″ hoop.
One of my 8″ x 8″ hoops has a type of sticky bandaging (COMOmed Cohesive Bandage White 5cmX4.5m bought off Amazon) wrapped around the outer hoop. This helps keep the layers secure.
Here you see the first colour which was Sulky Rayon 1071 Off white stitching the lace fill of the scroll work.
The little scallops which go all around the edge were stitched in Sulky Rayon Bone 0520. I admit that this was one of my stitch outs where my colours were chosen spontaneously as I worked through the design.
I choose Sulky Rayon 1824 Gentle rain for the satin stitches that form the scroll work and Iced Mauve 1809 for the centres of the little blossoms.
Sulky Rayon 1809 Iced Mauve was used for the buds which consist of double satin stitches and this was the only place where there was some distortion of the cotton net but it was not too pronounced.
I choose Sulky Rayon Putty 1508 for the leaves and Light putty 1229 for the veins. My selection of colours for the fuchsia were as follows:
1218 Silver grey, 1824 Gentle rain, 1809 Iced mauve, 1022 Cream, 1213 Taupe, 1807 Soft heather, 1002 Soft white. I was not that happy with the cream at the sides of the lower part of the fuchsia. Just a little too much yellow so maybe the 0520 Bone would have been preferable.
I was delighted with the results of the other colour changes and the way the English cotton net held the embroidery.
Once the fuchsia was complete I moved on to the hummingbird. One of my selections was too dark and I moved back and restitched it in a lighter shade.
There was no problem with the density resulting from this and the colour was covered nicely.
I researched the throat colours of hummingbirds before deciding on those for my bird and decided to use the same colours as used for the leaves so there were not too many colours in the overall design.
The design is now finished and I removed it from the hoop and cut most of the stabiliser and extra net away leaving a small margin all around. My next job was to tidy up the back.
This was how it all looked before I rinsed it under tap. I always do this before soaking so that it does not sit in water which as to much stabiliser in it.
After several changes of water I left the design soaking over night.
In the morning it felt very soft and I dried it carefully before pressing it on the back. I checked the back again for any jump stitches I had missed.
The final challenge was deciding how to finish off the edge. Rather than cut too close I did it stages with my sharpest scissors. I decided against trimming around each individual scallop.
This is how it looks on the back. Work in a good light with a dark surface behind you so the net shows clearly. Have the Fray check handy just in case the embroidery stitches get snipped by mistake.
Here is the finished mat. I have created an extra design with these colours for you. (GFE-RNF-5-7ALT) It has a total of 37 thread changes, some of which are duplicated as I have not colour sorted them all entirely. This enables you to make as many thread colours as you want. Have fun with this one.
Enjoy this set of designs that I have so enjoyed creating. They were released in February 2020 and that completes the Renaissance Fuchsias collection. In time I expect to create more embroidered fuchsias. Do send me your photos of projects that you make with these or any of my designs.
Happy hoopings from Hazel