One of the wonderful benefits of creating the Renaissance Fuchsias collection is that I can now have fuchsias blooming every day inside the house! One of the largest designs in this collection can be found in Renaissance Fuchsias 4.
For reference it is called GFE-RNF-4-7. These designs have been created to be stitched out in the Husqvarna’s Imperial hoop which measures 360mm x 260mm (14″ by 10.5″)
For this design I decided to make all the fuchsias the same colour to eliminate multiple thread changes adding three hummingbirds which are stitched last. Here you see it, near completion, being stitched out in my hoop.
I have hooped my stitch and tear stabiliser, and added another layer within the hoop area. For extra stability I use the clips that are provided with the hoop. The ivory silk dupion has been attached with temporary adhesive spray.
A box of basting stitches holds the fabric in place. If your machine does not have this facility my designs have these built in too in the form of Outline alignment stitches (OAS)
As I embroidered this design over 2 days, I confess that I did a few colour changes!! Those who know me won’t be surprised by this.
I changed the outline on the hummingbirds from Sulky Rayon Light brown 1170 to Dark ecru 1128. I ran out of Sulky Rayon Dark rose 1191 for the throats of the birds so I had to use 1533 Light rose. The leaves were stitched in Sulky Rayon Moss green 0630 and Peapod green 1835.
The buds in the whole collection are quite pronounced as they are stitched out with a double satin stitch. With the underlay this results in several repeats of the stitches. Hope you like the finished effect.
Now having spent so much time and effort stitching this out it is not going to go with all my other stitch outs in a drawer. This year I am determined to finish and frame more of my work. Little is said about the finishing off of embroidery, so let me tell the story of this design. We have all experienced bobbin show through at times especially when using dark colours, and this happened on this design. There is only one way to prevent it and that is by using matching embroidery threads in the bobbin but that can be quite fiddly. I recommend this for very very special projects.
Recently I invested in a set of permanent fine tip pens in a large variety of colours and I use these for this annoying little spots of white which can appear. Just a tiny dab with a matching coloured pen and they will be gone permanently. Cheating? I prefer this method to trying to cover them by a few hand sewn stitches.
It can be disheartening when you remove the design from your hoop and see the mass of jump threads to be removed along with the stitch and tear but do not despair.
Work in a good light and remember the removal of the stabiliser is more important than trimming all the jump stitches if nobody will see the back. They certainly need to be cut so they cannot pull and cause puckering but a few ends will not hurt.
Your embroidery may appear a little stressed after al this tugging, but do not panic. Start on one side and press well, moving from the top edge to the bottom edge. If you are pressing into a soft surface you should leave an impression. Here you see I have started on the right of the embroidery.
I tend to check my progress as I iron each section to see the results.
There may well be areas which need a little more attention, like along the edge of this leaf. When this happens I turn the embroidery over but only iron the silk not the embroidery stitches.
See the difference that it makes to carefully iron up to the edges of the embroidery.
When my embroidery pressing was complete and I decided to find suitable backing to give it depth and some silk dupion for the borders.
I checked my silk dupion stash and found these 3 shades.
After much reflection I decided to opt for the purple at the top.
I found some soft and natural batting to go behind my silk fabric and used white felt as a backing. With a ruler I marked the edges making sure there was an inch between the embroidery and each side. The batting and felt were cut to size and held in place by temporary adhesive spray, and then trimmed exactly. I cut 2.5″ lengths of purple silk and joined them together diagonally. These were then folded length wise and pressed ready to be pinned to the edges of the sandwich of layers.
Starting with a diagonal fold so I could pop the other end inside it, each edge was sewn separately up to the corner and then folded again. On the last side I was able to successfully slot my binding into the beginning.
The stitching did not quite match so I had to tidy that up with a few more stitches on my machine. I also checked that all my stitching’s joined perfectly at each corner so they could to be turned over and hand sew in in place.
I prefer to hand sew rather than stitch on the machine using the stitch in the ditch. A little hand stitching is the perfect way to finish a project like this. Small clips are great to hold the folded binding in place while you sew, and they won’t stab you like pins will.
One final press and all was complete.
This has been a delightful labour of love but as I am so fond of these wonderful flowers I am please that they can hang in my embroidery studio all year round!
Renaissance Fuchsias 4 was released today, January 27th, 2020. There are 8 extra large designs in this set.
Happy embroidering from Hazel