I have had my Bernina 780 for 2 years, but have only been doing machine embroidery for one year. I was watching Hazel’s You tube channel “Graceful Embroidery” where she embroidered her Romantic Crazy Quilt blocks. I have watched that series of tutorials over and over, wishing I could do something like that. So I decided to create a prayer quilt for the Great Grand Daughter of a dear friend.
I am not sure how much it cost me to make this quilt as I used left- over cotton and flannel fabric from my stash. Lace was used for appliques on some of the hearts in the blocks as well as part of the background. I embellished the buttonholes with ribbon. For one of the blocks which was placed in the middle of the finished quilt I used a handkerchief from the babies, Great, Great Grandmother.
The dark pink heart with the “W”, that material is from the babies, Great Grandmother.
My first block took about 8 hours to complete as it was difficult to decide which colours of Isacord 40 wt thread to use. After making the first one, it went much faster as I understood how the process of construction.
I did not stitch out the last colour in each of the Romantic Quilt blocks, which is a very narrow satin border. Instead I stitched all around each block twice, then I trimmed the each block a 1/4″ away from these stitch lines.
The most challenging part of this project was finishing the blocks, as I was uncertain on how to put them together. I wanted the quilt to show the beauty of the blocks, not take away from the embroidery. I used 100% Cotton, Warm and Natural for my batting. I decided to do 2.5″ sashings for the quilt. I first attached 3 blocks together to make my first row, sashing between each block, then I added the top white strip.
After attaching the blocks together, I added the white strip on each sided. Then I added a pink 6″ border, and to finish it, I put an 8″ border, following with the flange binding. The designs in the 2 corners from Une Petit Princesse. were done before I put the back on. To personalise the quilt I also embroidered the babies name using the font that was built in my Bernina machine. I “free-motion” quilted these borders with a wavy line. I did not use a template.
The quilt was bound with a Flange binding. White on the outside and light pink for the flange. Flange binding is that little extra line of material the borders on the inside of the quilt.
After the quilt was finished I washed it 3 times. I was curious to see how the embroidery was going to hold up. It was just fine.
There are several mistakes in the quilt. I was experimenting with how to change the designs which resulted in some overlapped of designs. The thread colour has a few mistakes in the blocks, and I am not certain I used the correct stabilizer. As I wanted this quilt to last for many years, I used a water-soluble stabiliser.
Overall I am very pleased with the finish product. I learned so much from doing this like the importance of thread colour and placement. However probably the most important thing I learned is that if you want to make something, just dive in and try! You will never be able to achieve anything just setting around wishing! I also gained a lot of confidence with this project. When the quilt was finished I have gave it to Rosie and her mother.
Hazel’s comments: “I am thrilled for Janet as this really is a work of art especially when she has only been machine embroidering for a year. I love that she has made the quilt blocks unique by editing the embroidery within them. The addition of ribbons, rick-rack and lace really enhances its beauty. Well done! I look forward to seeing your next project. Keep up the good work and thank you for inspiring us all.”
Happy embroidering from Hazel