In my last post I shared how I created the embroidered wreath with a segment from the Anastasia’s Spring collection. Today I finished stitching it out and I am delighted to say that it all aligned perfectly. But lets go back to the beginning! I began by making sure I had a piece of fabric at least 15″ square and I prepared it by pressing and steaming it. I then marked its centre. The first hooping is made on your fabric as GFE-ATP-4-12-circle stitches out a circle which is 6″ (153 mm). Alternatively you could draw a circle this size with a compass on your fabric, which is what I did. The wreath needs to sit outside of this circle. After that was done I hooped another piece of stabiliser and stitched out the first colour way for GFE-ATP-4-12a which are the Outline alignment stitches (OAS)
Notice the outline of this design and the section of the circle which it sits against. I left the stabiliser in my hoop, sprayed it with temporary adhesive well away from my machine or other devices.
I matched the circle with curved outline as shown here. You can also use pins placed well outside of the stitching area or tacking stitches to hold the fabric in place. The next colour will stitch a basting box around the design.
Here is the first section stitched out. I have left the basting box in place so you can see where it all matches. I removed as much stabiliser from the back but not within the basting box. It is essential to keep the OAS on the back as they match the OAS in subsequent designs. Here is a close up view. The circle can just be seen underneath.
Another hooping was required for the outline of GFE-ATP-4-12b which was placed to the right of the first design in a clock wise direction and then aligned to the existing OAS of that design at the points marked on this photo.
I laid the design in place making sure it was along the circle. As I was using matching points everything aligned perfectly. I checked my positioning by going back a colour on my machine and moving through the OAS to see where the needle was positioned at several places just to be absolutely sure. Then when I was happy with the position I stitched the basting box to secure my fabric in place, and then embroidered the 2nd design which has been stitched to the right of the first one.
Everything matched all round so after double checking I went ahead and embroidered out GFE-ATP-12c which is a slightly smaller design than the first two.
This is the completed wreath before I removed all the OAS. You can see the basting boxes of each design and how they overlap. These were then removed and the wreath was pressed on carefully on the back. After all the placing and realigning it is a little creased! I took photos of the joins between each design.
This is where the second design shown above meets the first design.
This shows how the third design joins at the top with the 3rd design.
Finally this is the join between the third design and the first.
Although this took me quite a while to stitch out I felt great satisfaction at aligning it all so perfectly. You can do the same providing you double check all the positioning. When the wreath is all nicely prepared and finished off I am tempted to create a centre piece for my Easter table with it. I am not sure how I will do that but I will show you when it is all complete! This set will be released on February 20th, 2015.
Happy embroidering from Hazel